Per the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
Sustainability is based on a simple principle: everything that we need for our survival and well-being depends, either directly or indirectly, on our natural environment. Sustainability creates and maintains the conditions under which humans and nature can exist in productive harmony, that permit fulfilling the social, economic and other requirements of present and future generations. Sustainability is important to making sure that we have and will continue to have, the water, materials, and resources to protect human health and our environment.”
Future Generations Depend On Smart, Sustainable Practices
And We Believe the “Little Things” Can Make All The Difference.
- We reuse available materials to fix equipment and also purchase equipment which can be used for different types of tree care jobs.
- Debris is used to create wood and finer mulch for soil amendments and composting. 90% of tree debris is recycled with the remaining 10% sold as a soil amendment.
- When we help preserve your tree, it also helps keep an active receptacle for stored carbon, an important function in controlling atmospheric balance.
The more we help your trees, the more it helps the environment.
We view our whole business as helping trees.
A unique and satisfying part of running an arborist practice.
Sustainable Business Practices
Besides helping trees we also have tackled some of the problems any business has in becoming more sustainable. We started by making small changes. Since the beginning, ArborScape has tried to make sure chippers and trucks aren’t run excessively when on site. We re-use available materials to fix equipment and also purchase equipment which can be used for different types of tree care jobs.
In 2011 we became more ambitious acquiring hybrid vehicles to cut gas consumption. That larger investment has been successful for smaller vehicles. However, we’re still frustrated by the lack of available bucket and dump trucks in the hybrid category.
Each day our crew recycles the debris we’ve removed at Mountain States Wood Recyclers, Inc. Other tree services may say they recycle your branch and trunk debris – but many don’t follow through, and just dispose of the debris in the garbage.
This program was a brainchild of David, the company owner and his wife. They found that many trash removal companies will not take your Christmas tree or have restrictions such as cutting it up to a certain size. If they do take it, it ends up in a landfill. So we started picking them up for a small fee, sending them through a chipper and again sending them off to the wood recycling center.
Check back with us during the holiday season to have your Christmas tree recycled!